TAKE A HISTORICAL TOUR FROM YOUR OWN HOME
Kirklees Local History offers a series of Virtual Trails round parts of Huddersfield.
This one is a tour of Birkby and lasts just under one hour.
Just for a bit of fun, there are no prizes, can you identify these Honley placenames?
Answers can be found here.
In most of these there is a play on words of the names given to the various landmarks, streets, lanes and folds. One or two are anagrams.
1. The butcher and the baker might find a mate on this lane
2. You would find these in a church to protect your knees – or on boggy ground
3. Would you like a tonic with this?
4. A pastoral place to cultivate
5. The Lake District on your doorstep?
6. Have you heard the first one this year?
7. Fasten up this hem
8. Your lawn might get waterlogged here!
9. Harmony should exist in this street
10. A comfortable sleep on the beach?
11. A Gallic bent
12. Cottages – a mixture, and further north!
As in Part 1, most of these are a play on the names of various landmarks, streets, lanes and folds. One or two are anagrams.
1. Bend into a stream
2. Mix the swell around to find a place of water
3. You would have a hard job spinning this!
4. Keeping a watchful eye
5. Their value may go up and down – even in a churchyard!
6. This sheer face has been newly recruited
7. Hold your horses!
8. A speedy turn here – before he flies off to warmer climes
9. A bit pebbly underfoot at one time, no doubt
10. No piscatorials here!
11. Near to his Canterbury Tales perhaps?
12. Refreshments for those in league
No prizes but answers below.